Insider’s Tour: AM or PM
The Insider’s Tour includes an informative canoe tour with an expert boatman/guide on the part of the Estrella River that fronts our property. A large, stable, 6-passenger canoe passes through exuberant riverine vegetation. You’ll see some of the 326 native birds that we’ve identified and perhaps even a caiman!
You’ll also join the Buttercup Tour, where a Sloth Expert will explain the history of sloths and their importance to the Costa Rican ecosystem.
A private, behind-the-scenes visit to our Slothpital/clinic. Your personal guide takes you to meet our very special permanent resident sloths and hear their stories. You will visit and be able to photograph the tiniest sloth residents, our incubator babies. You will also meet the internationally-known Buttercup for a fun photo opportunity. Continue on with an optional self-guided walk through our well-maintained jungle trail (seasonally available; please ask your guide.)
AM Tour: Primarily reserved for guests staying overnight at the Buttercup Inn
- 7:45AM Arrival time/coffee
- 8–9AM Breakfast with Buttercup
- 9-10AM Buttercup Tour with other guests
- 10–11AM Behind the Scenes & NICU Incubator Babies Nursery with your own personal guide
- 11AM to 12 noon Canoe ride
- 10:45AM Arrival time
- 11AM to 12 noon Buttercup Tour with other guests
- 12 noon to 1PM Light lunch with Buttercup
- 1–2PM Canoe ride
- 2–3PM Behind the Scenes & NICU Incubator Babies Nursery with your own personal guide
Please note: The order of your tour may be different than listed depending on weather conditions, etc.
Need to know:
- Requires pre-payment and advance reservation to secure your requested date.
- Demand is high because we offer only one AM and one PM Insider’s Tour per day.
- Reservations are held for 24 hours after the PayPal invoice is issued. If unpaid after 24 hours, the space is released.
- Important: We require that you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour for check-in and payment. Therefore, please allow sufficient time for transportation to the Sanctuary.
- Maximum 6 participants per tour (unless family or friends traveling together).
- Each tour includes either breakfast or a light lunch with Buttercup.
- Duration: 4 hours.
- Adults and children 11 and older: $150 per person
- Children 5-10: $75 per person
- Children under 4: free
To make your reservation: Email us here!
We thank you for choosing the Insider’s Tour. Your generous donation helps provide food, veterinary care and more for our sloths. It costs $400 annually to feed one adult sloth, and $10 for just one can of imported goat milk for one tiniest infant sloth. Your support makes a significant difference toward the sustainability of the Costa Rican rainforest.