Insider’s Tour: AM or PM
The ultimate experience is our Insider’s Tour. Choose AM (7:45AM arrival) or PM (10:45AM arrival), each tour given just once a day, Tuesday through Sunday, by advanced reservation only.
Limited to 6 participants and their guests, the Insider’s Tour features a private, behind-the-scenes visit to the clinic (“Slothpital”) with a guide. You will visit our sloth residents in rehabilitation, our tiniest incubator baby sloths in the NICU and rescued babies in the nursery. You’ll also join the Buttercup Tour.
During your light breakfast (AM Tour) or light lunch (PM Tour) in our dining area, Buttercup will be about 10′ away from the tables in her hanging basket-chair behind a red cord. You will be able to take photos of her poses, but please don’t touch her, or go beyond the cord, even if she reaches toward you!
To enhance your Costa Rican experience, you’ll enjoy a river tour in our stable, 6-person canoe with an expert guide. The Estrella River, which fronts our property, is rich with wildlife and rainforest plants. Tour guests can sometimes even see caimans (small crocodilians) in the river!
Depending on the weather, we also invite you to take an optional, self-guided walk through our lush and well-maintained nature trail to see the beauty of Costa Rica’s rainforest flora.
If you’re booking the Insider’s Tour, consider spending an overnight at the Buttercup Inn in one of our onsite guestrooms.
AM Tour: Primarily reserved for guests staying overnight at the Buttercup Inn, so availability may be limited.
- 7:45AM Arrival time/coffee
- 8–9AM Breakfast in dining area with Buttercup
- 9-10AM Buttercup Tour with other guests
- 10–11AM Behind the Scenes & NICU Incubator Babies Nursery with your own personal guide
- 11AM to 12 noon Guided river tour in a canoe
- 10:45AM Arrival time
- 11AM to 12 noon Buttercup Tour with other guests
- 12 noon to 1PM Lunch in dining area with Buttercup
- 1–2PM Guided river tour in a canoe
- 2–3PM Behind the Scenes & NICU Incubator Babies Nursery with your own personal guide
Please note: The order of your tour may be different than listed depending on weather conditions, etc.
Need to know:
- Requires pre-payment and advance reservation to secure your requested date. Book your tour at Tours@SlothSanctuary.com.
- Demand is high because we offer only one AM and one PM Insider’s Tour per day.
- Reservations are held for 24 hours after the PayPal invoice is issued. If unpaid after 24 hours, the space is released.
- Important: We require that you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour for check-in and payment. Therefore, please allow sufficient time for transportation to the Sanctuary.
- Maximum 6 participants per tour (unless family or friends traveling together).
- Each tour includes either a light breakfast or light lunch with Buttercup.
- Duration: 4 hours.
- Adults and children 11 and older: $150 per person
- Children 5-10: $75 per person
- Children under 4: free
- Book in advance at Tours@SlothSanctuary.com.
Thank you for choosing the Insider’s Tour. Your generous donation helps provide food, veterinary care and more for our sloths. It costs $400 annually to feed one adult sloth, and $10 for just one can of imported goat milk for one tiniest infant sloth. Your support makes a significant difference toward the sustainability of the Costa Rican rainforest.