This tour offers an introduction to the wonderful world of the sloth. It includes an informative, relaxing canoe tour with an expert boatman/guide on the part of the Estrella River that fronts our property. A stable 6-passenger canoe carries you through riverine vegetation, where you will see native wildlife and birds along the way—perhaps even a caiman!
Learn about sloths through a presentation on their natural history, from the prehistoric Giant Ground Sloth to our present-day tree sloths. You will also meet and be able to photograph some of our permanent sloth residents, including Buttercup and the baby sloths in our juvenile nursery.
A browse through the gift shop (100% of proceeds support the Sanctuary) completes the tour. Continue on with an optional self-guided walk through our well-maintained jungle trail (seasonally available; please ask your guide.)
- Adults & children 11 and older: $30 per person
- Children 5–10: $15 per person
- Children 4 years and younger: free
- Tours begin on the hour, 8AM– 2PM, Tuesday–Sunday (closed Mondays.)
- Duration: 2 hours
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes in advance of the tour start time for registration and payment.
- Please allow sufficient time for transportation to the Sanctuary and parking.
- Advanced reservations not required
- Up to 20 guests per tour
Thank you for choosing to tour our facility. Your admission/donation helps provide food, veterinary care and much more for our sloths. It costs over $400 annually to feed one adult sloth, and $13 for just one can of imported goat milk for one infant sloth. Your support makes a significant difference toward the sustainability of the Sloth Sanctuary and the Costa Rican rainforest.